Thursday, March 8, 2012

Kony 2012: What do YOU think about it?

So with all the conflicting information going around in regards to the Kony 2012 video that went viral this week (see my previous post for more), its hard to tell what's right. I am personally leaning towards supporting the campaign vs. the criticism for the simple reason that I can't imagine how global awareness to such a horrible crime can be a bad thing. I understand that if there are better options out there to support this cause than through Invisible Children, that sure - we should find out about them and do so. However, I don't believe this video is going to STOP people from doing that. There will be a lot of people who donate to Invisible Children who as their alternative had they NOT seen the video - would simply have not donated to ANYBODY. It's not as if the impact of traffic switching from other organizations is likely to occur. So what is the harm? All the critiques are giving such a negative impact that people are deciding to avoid the topic altogether!! How is THAT good for the cause???!
Some people may be extremely educated in topics like this, with extensive educational experience and exceptional research skills. Problem is - most people in the world - the very people this video is reaching out to - are not so savvy when it comes to social justice topics like this. So why exclude their contribution just because it may not be as outstanding as the experts?
I've seen critics claim this is bad because it reinforces a white savior stereotype. Well I find that absurd. I feel pretty safe to say that the video is impacting more than just white people!! Quite frankly even if it were...why shouldn't it? Everyone knows about white privilege. Clearly it's not right, but it still exists - so why not hold white people accountable??? How is helping people an issue of race? If I were in these kids shoes - I can assure you that I wouldn't care AT ALL who was helping me. I wouldn't care how they were helping. All that would matter in such a dire situation is that they were there for me!!!!

Here's some links in defense of the campaign (starting with the official response to criticism from Invisible Children):

http://s3.amazonaws.com/www.invisiblechildren.com/critiques.html


http://video.au.msn.com/watch/video/kony-2012/xa4fgri?from=en-au_fblikehttp://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gif

https://www.facebook.com/notes/john-rudolph-beaton/visible-children-viewed-critically/10150614970287933

This was shared with me on Facebook from a former college professor of mine, and who like to call a mentor and friend, Victor Sinclair:

"Very few issues in this world are black and white and this one is one of them. The world is grid-locked as the UN has compromised itself by allowing veto power to hand cuff it when atrocities against humanity are happening in Syria. So instead of action we get a play by play by the UN humanitarian chief who said some areas had been "devastated" in the offensive by Syrian government troops. Like so many other times when the world stops to chat, discuss and make an evil atrocity an academic debate each hour we do not stop it innocent men, women and children die.

So it is with the Kony 2012 awareness campaign. The world gets one crack at a movement like this. If the masses get suspicious or begin to doubt the validity of this or any campaign they will do a fast 180 degrees and soon the chatter hope and participation will disappear. The reality is that people are afraid of being wrong. Anyone who posts the Kony 2012 links are actually in their mind sticking their necks out and for most participate in something they have never done before.

To bombard them with valid but long discussions and conversations about inaccuracies, better options and make the discussion truly understandable to only a handful of highly educated people with the equivalent experience of being educated and working in the Amnesty International environment for many years is unrealistic and foolish at best.

Perhaps if all the debaters and naysayers had their child kidnapped and in a Kony camp they would stop talking and debating and support any and all causes to save the life of their child. There are many facts that are debatable and many that aren't. Two that aren't are this evil has been going on for decades and nobody yet has found a way to stop it, and that every day more children die. Which of those two truths do you wish to continue? Neither? Then stop debating, and start supporting. I see a window of opportunity to galvanize the largest percentage of the population (including those in China) that if unsuccessful may never happen again. I for one will not be nit picking and will be supporting a campaign on April 20th that will change the consciousness of the world's population that they can participate in global change and not return to the helpless apathy they have been living in for decades!"


Here are some links critiquing Kony 2012:

http://passittotheleft.org/2012/03/07/re-thinking-the-kony-2012-video-and-invisible-children-campaign/

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment