Last night as we all I'm sure know was the opening ceremonies for the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. Near the end we heard Measha Brueggergosman sing the "Olympic Hymn" during the raising of the Olympic flag. The song was pretty boring I thought, but after learning it was the Olympic Hymn I was pretty understanding of it being so lol
I was fortunate enough to see Measha preform live when I was living in Toronto for school. I volunteered at the 4th Annual Canadian Songwriter's Hall of Fame Gala and Joni Mitchell was being inducted. I had the opportunity to go and watch the actual show since I was finished with my volunteering duties when it was on. I saw so many fantastic acts, Michael Buble, George Canyon, Chaka Khan, Corb Lund, Jim Cuddy, Herbie Hancock, Divine Brown and James Taylor...and that's not mentioning a number of other artists! It was definitely an amazing night. Measha sang Joni Mitchell's song "Both Sides Now". It was such an outstanding performance that people were crying. I even got a tad teary eyed myself. Her singing the song was simply beautiful. It was one of those moments when you realize, wow...a human made music that beautiful?
I tried searching today online for a video of that performance because in the past I have never been able to find one. It was up on Youtube now though! I was watching and thinking, wow, live acts are so much better. I wasn't enjoying it all that much at all...it was so slow and boring...but then she got into it...and I was like oh right...THAT's why it was so good! lol Actually seeing it live was a WAY better experience though.
It certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea (not generally even my own!) but I thought I would share since it was on my mind...here's the performance...
"Music is well said to be the speech of angels." - Thomas Carlyle, Essays, "The Opera"
No comments:
Post a Comment